In the autumn of 2017 the Isle of Man government consulted on major changes to EHE as part of a proposed new Education Bill. At the end of January (2019) a draft Bill was published with significant changes proposed in many areas including EHE. At the same time they launched a further public consultation focussed “on those aspects which have changed significantly” since the 2017 consultation.
This second consultation closes on 20 March 2019 and is open to everyone, not just Isle of Man residents.
Below are links to the relevant documents along with additional information and resources.
- Isle of Man – Guinea Pig for Registration & Monitoring of Home Education in Britain? 8 Feb 2019
- Isle of Man Education Bill – Important Update 13 Mar 2019
- Consultation main web page with links to the following:
- Full draft IoM Education Bill 2019 [PDF]
- On-line IoM Consultation Response Form
- Major changes in the new IoM Education Bill – Feedback provided in January 2019
On 8 March The Education Minister informed the SAPR Committee that responses to the consultation may be submitted by letter as well as via the on-line form. Written responses should be sent to:
Mr Andrew Shipley, The Department of Education, Sport and Culture, Corporate Services Division, Hamilton House, Peel Road, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 5EP.
Andrew Shipley’s email address can be found on this page.
- Home Education and the New Education Bill Consultation a Guide [PDF]
- One document containing all the questions in the IoM on-line consultation [PDF]
- The two HE specific questions in the IoM on-line consultation [PDF]
- Written Question 19 Feb 2019 [PDF]
- Oral Questions 26 Feb 20149 [PDF – pages 11 to 14] / [Audio]
- Social Affairs Policy Review Committee 8 Mar 2019 [Audio – starts at 14 mins. approx]
Press Reports: not available as web pages
- Isle of Man Examiner 5 Feb 2019 [PDF] – three reports
- Isle of Man Examiner 5 Mar 2019 [PDF] – one report
Images of original print articles – click to enlarge:
Radio Programmes: N.B. Listen again files and podcasts may expire
- Manx Radio 3 Mar 2019 – EHE is raised by a phone caller at about 26 min into the second hour – [Part 1: Perspective] & [Part 2: Mannin Line]
- Manx Radio 13 Mar 2019 – Education Bill could face legal challenge (with video)
Listen again to the above interview followed by a response from Minister Cregeen; starts at 4min 20sec – available until 19 Mar 2019